How can a birth class help you and your partner prepare for baby? If I have a doula, aren’t I all set?
While childbirth education and labor doula support may seem similar, we consider them complementary to a well-rounded preparation for childbirth. We teach several different types of childbirth education at Apple Birth & Wellness, and the one thing in common is that you get a lot of informational bang for your buck by attending a birth class. As doulas, we’re going to assume that you know the basics of childbirth, so we can delve deeper into our relationship with clients in the actual labor and delivery room.
REAL TALK TRANSLATION:
Knowledge is power. “Dr. Google,” however, is not necessarily the most helpful of resources. Our birthing classes are all the birth prep you need. We’ll guide you in group or private classes with evidence-based information, and answer all of your questions about pain management. We don’t have an agenda for your birth; our goal is to help you feel more “ready” for your baby’s arrival and you know the right questions to ask of your providers.
Birthing Classes in Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Maryland
Our group childbirth classes are currently online and we offer in-person private birth prep sessions – scroll down for private prep options!
The birth class curriculum, designed and taught by co-owner Stephanie Cruse is an intentionally balanced approach to help you feel less anxious and more prepared for birth! The entire 7.5-hour class takes place over the course of one week, to give you time to process all of the material presented. We’ve been teaching birth classes for a long time now, and have found that one-day express classes, while they may maximize your time, leave you feeling overwhelmed and like you just drank water from a fire hose with the amount of information given to you all at once! This is a gradual approach so you can learn and retain as much information as possible. The curriculum includes influences from Lamaze, BirthWorks International, Spinning Babies, and Prenatal Yoga.
Having a Baby: From Soup to Nuts!
EVIDENCE-BASED INFORMATION DELIVERED WITH OUR SIGNATURE REAL-TALK TEACHING STYLE
Class Topics include:
– Knowing if it’s Labor & When to Go to the Hospital
– Stages of Labor & Pushing
– Comfort Measures & Breathing for Birth
– Pain Management & Preparing Your Partner
– Medical Interventions & Complications
– The Golden Hour, First Feeding, & Your Hospital Postpartum Stay
INCLUDED IN YOUR CLASS:
– Space for you and your +1
– Digital copies of all handouts/slides covered in this class
– A curated goody bag of labor & delivery essentials, mailed to you!
About your instructor:
Stephanie Cruse (co-owner of Apple Birth & Wellness) certified as a childbirth educator through BirthWorks International in 2014, has been a birth doula since 2015 with over 50 births under her belt, and has been teaching prenatal and postnatal yoga since 2014.
Stephanie jumped into birth work after she had her son in 2012, and experienced a challenging time with breastfeeding and postpartum depression. Since then, she has been an advocate for perinatal wellness, and has specialty trainings in supporting clients with anxiety (pre-existing or perinatally), and trauma-informed support. Her jam is nonjudgmental support and helping you find your perfect mindset for birth. While she misses teaching birthing classes in person, she enjoys the challenge of making birth classes fun and informative online!
Pricing – $225
2021 Spring/Summer Birth Class Dates:
May – Tuesday, May 11th 6:30-9pm / Friday, May 14th 6:30-9pm / Tuesday, May 18th 6:30-9pm – Register here
June – Tuesday, June 22nd 6:30-9pm / Friday, June 25th 6:30-9pm / Tuesday, June 29th 6:30-9pm – Register here
August – Tuesday, August 31st 6:30-9pm / Friday, Sept 3rd 6:30-9pm / Tuesday, Sept 7th 6:30-9pm – Register here
Other Childbirth Prep Options
- A three-hour session completely customized to the needs of you and your partner.
- Can be virtual or in-person
- Popular for those with busy schedules or looking for something more specific than a general birth class.
Comfort Measures Private Session
- A 90-minute private session for you and partner
- Can be virtual or in person (in person recommended)
- Great for supplementing a hospital birth class, especially if you’re hoping to have an unmedicated birth and want all of the tools in your comfort measures toolbox
Childbirth Refresher Private Session
- Two and a half hour private session for you and partner
- Can be virtual or in person
- Great for second/third-time parents not wanting to take a full class, but who need to do a little birth prep!
FIND THE CLASS FOR YOU
See what we're up to...
Get in Touch
CONNECT WITH US
Get the Latest
FROM THE BLOG
TOP 5 YOGA POSES FOR PREGNANCY
We serve the Washington, D.C. area, including the communities of
Adams Morgan, Alexandria, Arlington, Annandale, Bethesda, Brightwood, Brookland, Burke, Capitol Hill, Chevy Chase, Clarendon, College Park, Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, Fairfax, Falls Church, Foggy Bottom, Fort Totten, Fort Belvoir, Friendship Heights, Glover Park, Georgetown, Hyattsville, Logan Circle, Lorton, McLean, Merrifield, Mount Pleasant, Mt. Rainier, Navy Yard, Oakton, Palisades, Penn Quarter, Petworth, Reston, Rockville, Silver Spring, Springfield, Takoma Park, Tenleytown, Tysons Corner, Vienna, Woodbridge, Woodley Park, and more.